Calling all balance researchers!
Natus Medical often receives requests for research on balance, as a medical device manufacturer we look to the clinical market to satisfy those needs.
The following is a list of ideas for research studies for publication:
Normative Data Expansion
Adding to and expanding the normative data set would be very helpful for clinical comparison.
- Normative data collection for mCTSIB, LOS, RWS & WBS in ages 5-19 years old
- Normative data collection for SOT & mCTSIB in ages 79+ years
- Normative data collection for SET in ages 5-13 years old young athletes
- Stability Evaluation Test (SET), how it compares to BESS and SOT?
- Comparison of young/college athletes return-to-play case studies using SET + DVA + GST. Does monitoring the VOR provide clear indications of recovery for return-to-play decision making?
- The importance of assessing “gaze stability” in addition to “postural stability” pre- and post injury, as part of a complete concussion management program.
- Comparison of recovery times after concussion using the SOT, HS-SOT and GST. We know that SOT recovers within 10 days (typically – Guskiewicz’ work). We may be still sending athletes back to play too quickly. The question is – are SOT recovery times the same as HS-SOT and GST recovery times after concussion? Using higher level tests like HS-SOT & GST to make better RTP decisions. Also, compare to SET + GST.
- Comparing force plate measures of SET and LOS with the iPhone accelerometer balance test versions, how do they differ and which is more sensitive, reliable and specific?
- What injuries are related to falls in individuals whose Center Of Gravity (COG) alignment is off to one side on mCTSIB?
- Comparison study of gaze exercises using computerized NeuroCom inVision VOR training software versus traditional subjective gaze exercises
- Vibrotacile feedback for rehabilitation therapy, does it improve outcomes?
- Does vibrotactile feedback using a belt at home provide improved patient outcomes? Is this feasible in the therapy market?
Virtual Reality using Head Mounted Display
- What are the outcome measures for rehabilitation therapy in patients with balance disorders/issues using 3D Virtual Reality common environments with head mounted display?
- What patient populations are candidates for balance rehab therapy using 3D Virtual Reality head mounted display? How are these patients affected by Simulator Motion Sickness (SMS)?
- How do different patient populations behavioral measures and immersiveness in the VR environment with head mounted display differ?
- What are the behavioral measures and immersiveness of different patient populations in the VR environment with head mounted display?